Monday, September 27, 2010

approaching albion, alone

Corbin left this morning at bloody 5:45, rendering me all alone. I watched out the window 'till he got on his bus and then did my best to get back to bed. When I woke up and checked out of the hotel, I became quite aimless: wandering about the city, not totally certain where to go because I felt sure that I could not check into my hostel yet.

Eventually, my bag began to weigh on my shoulders something impressive, so I made my way to the hostel anyway. My suspicions confirmed--it was only ten-thirty and I couldn't check in until one--I was nevertheless able to relieve myself of my heavy backpack. Then I went to Regent's for awhile and spoke with Marian, the front-desk lady, who gave me a nice tour.

I then resumed aimlessness and walked a fair distance (some three miles, maybe) for a cup of tea that I could have gotten practically next door if I'd wanted. There I read the first hundred pages of Howard's End, which is excellent by the way. Eventually it occurred to me that it was nearing two, and the international student folks were having a drop-in session at the Examination Schools, which happily ended up being quite near. So I went, only intending to stay for a few minutes, as I could go back to my hostel at any time and check in.

However, I met friends! Well, so far, acquaintances anyway. We hung about the Exam Schools till they kicked us out at four, and then sojourned to a nearby coffeehouse. Now I'm at the hostel, which is very nice and seems quite secure, having gotten my Oxford wireless account set up against all improbable odds. We're meeting up at eight (oh laws, that's in fifteen minutes) for dinner and drinks at the Eagle and Child.

So yay! I didn't have to talk to myself all day to stay sane.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good, I'm glad to hear you've got new friends already =) I'm sure I'm no the only person here Stateside who was worried about how you'd be once Corbin had to leave! I'm glad, too, that the weather is good for you as it's raining right now in Connecticut. Keep your head up, enjoy your time, learn lots in school, and most of all... keep in touch!