Monday, February 28, 2011

in the last six months...

I've adapted enough that I...

  • end all of my e-mails with two kisses.
  • ask, "you alright?" upon encountering an acquaintance in the street. I know that "alright" isn't actually a word; I have, however, been assured of it as the correct spelling in this particular instance.
  • spell 'colour', 'familiarise', and 'programme' in new ways.
  • talk about the weather a surprising amount.
  • place my commas outside the quotation marks (sorry, the inverted commas).
  • remember where the @ is on my computer keyboard. 
  • say, "toh-MAH-toe."
  • look right then left when crossing the street.
  • am newly acquainted with 8 Out of 10 Cats, The InbetweenersGavin and Stacey, Hustle, Misfits, Sherlock, and, perhaps most importantly, The Crystal Maze. Almost all of these are courtesy of the unrelentingly awesome Andrew and Rowena Wilding, who deserve--as they have pointed out myriad times--more mentions in my blog than they happen to receive.
  • refer to the sport that the Steelers play as "American football", and the one that Arsenal plays, "football". 
I have not yet adapted to the point where I...
  • have even once been prepared for the astonishingly, inedibly overcooked state in which meat arrives to the table.
  • ever, ever remember to say "trousers" instead of "pants", often to my own embarrassment. 
Getting there...?

xx

2 comments:

Evan Roth said...

I bet you say "'ello chap" a lot too. I learned that from Pirates of the Caribbean so they definitely do it.

Abby Rowswell said...

I wrote a poem about trousers for my class instead of a poem about pants... but usually I wear pants. And do a no-pants dance. (no trousers dance is just... clunky). And! I am starting to speak Chinglish in my daily life!