Tuesday, November 9, 2010

english autumn








England is beautiful this time of year. The leaves are changing and falling, and the wind blows them everywhere. The above photo is of the garden just outside my building, which is absolutely gorgeous when carpeted in bright yellow, and in fact I took this photo as I was headed to that very bench to go eat my lunch.

Unfortunately, I must admit that I don't have oodles of time for photo-snapping and leaf-watching. Or even lunch-eating, many days. My draft of my paper for the term--which doesn't have to be long, but has to be good which is much scarier--is due on Friday, and I've been spending entire days locked up inside various Bodleian reading rooms, knowing in a no more than indirect way about the existence of sunlight, or freedom.

Bleak as it sounds (and let me tell you, the life of an Oxford student is rarely glamorous) it's actually quite enjoyable. I have it on good authority that my argument for my Austen paper is somewhat a new one, which is exciting. I've gotten permission to cite a forthcoming article that won't even be published by the time my essay is due, and it's by a woman who is, in the Jane Austen world, something of a scholarly rock-star. All in all, the library days are nice, in a way. It really makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something, unlike those occasional (well, okay, maybe more than occasional) times in undergrad where I felt like I was just treading water--writing moderately well about old ideas has never gotten anyone's blood pumping.

Anyway, I have time still for some fun. Last night I went to Angel's cocktail bar with some college mates, which was lovely. Tonight I had a fish-and-chips date with Brian at this nasty-looking little fish place that was fantastic. Oh, and they had deep fried Mars Bars--! It made me miss Georgia. Brian and I split one, needless to say.

I'll close as I opened--with a photo celebrating English autumn, this one taken from the aforesaid (and, um, aforepictured?) bench, facing my building of residence (the one on the left--though my window faces the other side, which is a lovely bustling street with cute little shops). Not pictured: my delicious curry-filled jacket potato from Green's, my tattered copy of Mansfield Park. Life is good.

4 comments:

evil_engineer said...

Its one thing to be having fun and all, but I'm very plessed that you're enjoying the work!

As for me, I'm in UT this week. e highlight of this trip, as always,is a trip or two to the In and Out burger, which is everything one woud hope for and more. That would make you miss America I guarantee! Of course that doesn't sound very consistent with the idea that enjoying the work is the important thing; however, I'm enjoying the work moderatly well, and there's the minor point that here they are paying me, while there you are paying them.

Good luck between now and Friday!
Love,
Dad

Take care,
Love,
Dad

Mom said...

Hi Sweetie. It sounds like you are making the most of your time there. Don't forget that your second job is to find fun places for us to go next month! It's been autumnal here too. Dad and I took a 4-mile hike on Sunday near the place where FDR used to go. We skipped church and went early, so we had the woods to ourselves. I hope your curtains arrive soon and that the UK authorities see fit to allow you to have them without having to post bail. Thanks for keeping us all updated. Love you, Mom

Corbin Parker said...

Holy cow! That little park has changed quite a bit...It looked so beautiful before, and now it looks even more so! Lucky! Not too much changes down here in Valdosta...sadly.

J'Eric: You should check out Henrickson's Home Plus while your Utah'n it up.

J'Cindy: Having the woods to yourselves, huh? Hmmm...

Unknown said...

Haha, looks a tad like here a few weeks ago, although slightly after those yellows, we got the filling in of the reds and oranges; a real fire's worth of fall colors.

Also, Erica found some Jane Austen books yesterday on our date and it made me think of you. Told her about you deciphering her handwriting, too!