Sunday, November 7, 2010

remember remember the fifth of november

If you'd told me a year ago that I'd have spent last night eating fried doughnuts and watching a giant burning effigy representing a Catholic terrorist, I might not have believed you.

Bonfire Night--or what we'd be more likely to call Guy Fawkes night, and let's be honest, we mostly only know that from V for Vendetta--is bigger here than I'd anticipated. We went down to Headington where they had some fireworks. We basically found ourselves in the middle of a huge field, surrounded by hot dog and burger and toffee apple and doughnut stands, with a gigantic wooden statue of sorts in the middle. We'd stood around and eaten junk for awhile when the fireworks started!

The fireworks were quite nice and I was only moderately terrified that the entire grassy field was going to go up in flames. Then the real fun started--the bonfire. The vaguely person-shaped blocks of wood were let aflame, and when they'd done, it revealed a metal understructure that looked sort of like a devil. Pretty frightening, actually. It was a huge fire! We were standing really quite far off and we could feel the massive heat from it.

After the giant Guy Fawkes was burned, there was still a sweet bonfire for awhile. We basked in its glow for awhile before heading to the pub for some mulled wine. A good evening.

I have things to update about! Like rowing, and my printing class. Once I obtain photos to accompany these things, you will be hearing more from me. I promise.

Until then, I'm writing a paper about which I'm actually quite excited. It has to do with Mansfield Park and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I won't bore you with details...but I'm enjoying my research. I'd better be--I spent something like eight hours straight yesterday in the library. And as soon as I click "Publish Post" I'm going to do some more work. Sigh.

2 comments:

Deneen Senasi said...

You're writing about my favorite Austen novel AND a Shakespeare play of passing loveliness, AND at Oxford? In the words of Benedick, "I'm so attired in wonder, I know not what to say!" I miss you, but I wouldn't have you anywhere but where you are, doing what you're doing, my dear, fair maid.

Mom said...

Thank you, dear, for helping us to feel we're along for your journey. You have done a great job with the blog, which is always anticipated and enjoyed. Keep up the good work!