Wednesday, October 6, 2010

inductions galore

So yesterday was the English induction. The St. Cross building--where the English faculty and library are--is huge and rather imposing. Apparently everyone else thinks it's ugly, but I kind of like it.

Anyway, we sat through a lengthy series of lecture, mostly in library usage and tech support. Unfortunately, our almost-identical library orientation took place at Regent's less than 24 hours before. So here I sit in this giant lecture room, having not eaten all day, listening to a morning's worth of self-evident library-related stuff. To be fair, the Bodleian system is really, really complicated. And they did give us tea and biscuits afterward.

But then I got to meet with my strand-mates (the other people doing 1800-1914). I really like the group, and it's a good size (maybe 18 or 20 people). A few of us went for lunch at the Turf after, and I think I'm really going to like spending time with them.

This morning I went to the fresh market in Gloucester Green. They run it every Wednesday, but at this time last week I was still living a hostel so I didn't pay attention to prices of food yet. Holy cow! I got a pound and a half of tomatoes, nine bananas, and a huge basket of grapes for under four quid. So I had a banana and a tomato (pronounced toe-MAH-toe, of course) for lunch. Before realizing that the English department is giving me lunch. But that's okay.

In the meantime, my room is almost perfect. I have a brand-new mattress and now I'm reasonably stocked on food. The only thing wanting may be the curtain for my closet, and I'm working on that. I got all of my photos up: take a look! See if you can spot yourself! If you can't, send me pictures...

1 comments:

Corbin Parker said...

I see me! And also there is finally a little box with letters in it. The past two times the box has been a broken picture...so I have had to use the handicap word verification choice...where there are loud mumbles and you have to hear the numbers that some guy shouts out. It's awful. Lemme tell you. And how can a blind person (since I guessing the blind people can't see the word image), find the little handicap image as well? I am confused by this whole system, and I hope you shine some light. Anyways. I see me still!