Monday, October 4, 2010

things i miss

Things I miss about home:


  • thrift stores. Real, honest, kinda-dirty-but-extremely-cheap thrift stores. I have attempted to explain the glory of new clothes for under a dollar lately (to Rowena, this morning), and it has made me more homesick than I'd have imagined.
  • Francar's.
  • craft stashes of fabric and yarn. On that note, my sewing machine as well.
  • the word "y'all."
  • having sneakers in every color.
  • not having to cook.
  • Glee.
  • both Dogwood and Emmanuel churches.
  • my kitty.
  • board games. Real ones. 
  • PB&J sandwiches. They don't eat those here! I've had people actually ask me if Americans really eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Apparently it's something of a stereotype.
  • my golf cart.
  • most importantly, all of you.

Things I don't miss about home:
  • the heat.
  • having to drive or have someone else drive everywhere.
  • American bars and restaurants.
  • feeling culturally bound to smile at everyone I meet.
  • Wal-mart.
  • Democrats.
  • Republicans.
  • Nathan Deal. I know I just said "Republicans," but really, he necessitates such repetition.
  • cruddy beer.
  • the complete lack of public transportation.
  • lots and lots of unhealthy food.

Anyway, today was absolutely beautiful. I got to spend much of my day with the lovely Rowena, hurrah! And I opened my bank account! And I found my planner! Life is full of excitement right now, it seems, given all the exclamation points.

3 comments:

Corbin Parker said...

I'm glad the bank account thing worked out. I meant to ask earlier. I miss you too. Hope you're having fun crawling through pubs, though I must admit I don't understand the appeal. Seems kinda dirty, really. I love you!

Robby said...

I bet you could find a thrift store there. I found a thrift store during my time in Ireland and bought a pretty snazzy dress shirt for 3 euros.

Corinne said...

There are charity shops. They're not cheap, though...there aren't "fill a bag for a dollar" kinds of charity shops.